The Kiesling House, built in 1861, survived the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862 and is New Ulm’s only wood frame building from that time that still stands on its original location. This makes it one of the most significant buildings in New Ulm. Additionally, it is an important representative of that crucial period of Minnesota history. Through circumstance, luck, and continued family ownership, the property survived relatively intact through the years. Then, in the early 1970s, Dr. Theodore and Lois Fritsche, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Somsen, and Clara Schonlau acquired the Kiesling House from descendants of Frederic Kiesling. When they deeded the property over to the city, these benefactors gave a cash donation of $12,000.